Monday, February 29, 2016

I'm in High School

27 January 2016

Lauren is now a teenager. I look back and sometimes cannot believe we have lived with autism for ten years. Why not 13 years? Simply because I had no idea Lauren had autism the first three years of her life. I suspected when she was 2+ but confirmation came much later. Anyways, we can talk about that in another article.




No-so-little Ms Sim started Grade 7 (equivalent to Secondary 1 Singapore, Form 1 in Malaysia) yesterday. A lot of preparation had gone into making Day 1 a good memory. And it was a great day, according to Lauren.


Here is an excerpt of what she wrote about her day.

My First Day at Chancellor, by Lauren Sim

The first day, in Chancellor, has turned out great. My class is 7F and my class teacher (who I met during the holidays) is Ms. Rogers. … I sat at a desk, next to a desk, which belonged to a girl named Maria. She came from Chancellor Primary. ABC's desk was next to another desk belonging to a girl too. Her name is Lilley. She came from Chevallum Primary and I made friends with her…At the very end of school, we had our first Japanese lesson with a teacher called Miss Swift. I must say, she speaks good Japanese! …I had a very good first day at Chancellor.


*Names have been changed.


PostScript: Alone

I know that Lauren had lunch break on her own because I was there. It breaks my heart to see her sit all alone, nose between her book. And then I remind myself that how I think she might enjoy lunch breaks ie. playing, talking, being with friends may not be how Lauren thinks a good break should be.

I cannot imagine what Lauren goes through with her sensitive ears for hours in the morning only to continue having all that noise around her during break time. Lauren must get tremendous peace from just being on her own, hearing her own thoughts, laughing at her imaginary stories of favourite story-book, movie and singing personalities.

Yes, I must remember that everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy their own space. Some need it less than others. Some more than others.

I pray Lauren always gets to have the me-time she needs in school, while also getting out of that space sometimes to make one or two friends - who will be true and love her for the unique character she is.





No comments:

Post a Comment