Friday, February 27, 2015

Head in the Hole

Do you remember the times when you said something or did something so embarassing, you felt like sticking your head in the ground?

Head in the Hole by Kevin Sim copyright 2015

Once when Lauren had a group session in class, each student was asked to make a TRUE and FALSE statement. We aren't sure what the context was in making the sentences but one student (a boy) said, "I make out with my mom!". To which Lauren asked..."How?"...

Her group of friends laughed in response.

And Lauren burst into tears.

She told us later how she wanted to go to the school oval (school field), dig a hole and hide her head in there! She was utterly embarrassed because she didn't know what her friend meant when all the others did.

We explained to Lauren the meaning of what her classmate said "I want to make out with my mom" and we also assured Lauren that it was completely ok and the right thing to ask what she was not sure of. She felt better by the end of the day.

I sure wish I can help prepare Lauren for every situation. I know I cannot, but still...

Try your best and be happy with the outcome (no matter what).

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I like this story because we have all experienced moments like these. Basically, I think one of the social skills we all need to learn is how to grow a 'thick skin'! Learning to laugh at ourselves after getting over everyone elses shocked faces is a good idea!

    ReplyDelete