Thursday, February 19, 2015

Public vs Private to an ASD


I started this post thinking about how to describe what I wanted to share, without sounding too graphic, but using appropriate subtle, slightly humourous language which still brought the meaning across.

After checking out a few articles online on how to describe what I wanted to describe....well, I'm ready.

Today, I am going to talk about periods. Yes, that monthly thing ladies get visits from. But instead of saying that word, I shall use a combination of what I think are nice, creative and tasteful words for them.

Lauren had her first friendly visit from Aunt Ruby recently. 

She told me she felt excited and happy, and at the same time shocked at seeing her for the first time (We had shared with her what happens when she grows into a teenager a few years before).

During the weekend, she asked me a few times what will happen to swimming on Tuesday at school. I told her she could probably still go for swimming – which was not the answer she was hoping, knowing her great dislike for swimming – but I assured her I would check on whether she had recovered from her girl flu on Monday evening and Tuesday morning before she went to school.

Tuesday morning at school
At the school pool today, Lauren’s teacher tells me that she announced in class yesterday that she was now a teen and surfing the crimson wave (Lauren was less subtle!) so she was not sure if she would be swimming on Tuesday!

Imagine my reaction….SHOCCCCCKKKKK!!!

Kevin and I had a serious talk with her after school. We explained to her that making public announcements on private, personal matters for example things about her anatomy are a complete NO, NO.

She told us that she did not even realize she was saying it to her classmates and that she had intended it for her teacher’s ears only. Sigh.

Now Lauren has a large sign in her room to remind her to
  • Think before she speaks
  • NOT announce to the public (eg. speak in a loud voice to class friends and strangers) about private matters like what is happening to her body.


Have you ever experienced something similar with your ASD child? Share it with us.


Public vs Private. Why are humans so particular?

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! She was probably excited about the fact that she now has a good excuse not to swim...thus the speaking out LOUD!

    ReplyDelete